Sunday, May 9, 2010

Great Bear Wilderness

(Image from Brookfield Zoo/ Chicago Zoological Society)
Hey family, friends, and fans!
Great Bear Wilderness finally opened May 8th! It was amazing. There were Native American dancers, flute players, and story tellers available to participate in the grand ceremony. Robert Buchanan of Polar Bears International was there, as well as Bill Watkins from Manitoba Conservation. Stuart Strahl the CEO of Brookfield Zoo/ Chicago Zoological Society gave a grand opening speech. I have never seen so many excited guests. I was very excited as well. I had already seen the exhibit, but this time I was able to see the reactions of the guests which to me was the most important thing. Now finally I can see the people get connected to the polar bears in the underwater viewing area. The children would put their hands up on the glass and the polar bears would swim to them and put up their paws. It was beautiful watching these connections between humans and wildlife. In the corner of the exhibit I found my rock. The rock was my tundra rock that I picked up while on my adventures in Churchill, Manitoba, Canada with Polar Bears International's leadership camp back in 2008. I risked my life for that rock. I was amazed that it was in the exhibit. Now the bears can be connected back to the wild through my representation of the tundra rock. I hope all of you can have to chance to visitBrookfield Zoo to see Great Bear Wilderness. The bison, bald eagles, polar bears, brown bears, and wolves are a part of this amazing exhibit. If you do happen to check it out, let me know about your experiences. I really care about the bear. I really care about your connections to nature and becoming conservation leaders. You all make the biggest difference. I will talk again soon~ Wildlife Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment