Friday, March 19, 2010

Robert and Carolyn Buchanan: My heroes

Robert and Carolyn Buchanan are my heroes. Robert is the current president of Polar Bears International. He recently won the George B. Rabb Conservation Medal from The Chicago Zoological Society/ Brookfield Zoo. I had the privilege to attend the Conservation Dinner where they awarded Mr. Buchanan for all of his conservation efforts. The dinner was hosted by the Brookfield Zoo Women's Board and it was held at the Art Institute of Chicago in the Modern Art Wing. I was the youngest person there but I met so many new outstanding people. The dinner was delicious and I really had some good conversations about polar bears and the climate change. I got some recognition at the event which really made the night special for me. I watched a presentation about polar bears and one new thing I heard about was a radio collared bear that had swam 400 miles. This is incredible that such a majestic animal is capable of so much power. The biggest bear on earth with so much power can still be so helpless due to the climate change. That is a reason why Mr. & Mrs. Buchanan are so special to me, it is because they have so much passion for these bears, they speak with such intensity that makes you want to change everything around you. It was really great for me to see them again it had been a whole year since my Canada trip and I cried myself to sleep tears of happiness because I was once again reunited with my real life heroes. ~Wildlife Katie
(photos by Jim Schulz of the Chicago Zoological Society/Brookfield Zoo)


No comments:

Post a Comment