Friday, November 12, 2010

In Memory of Betty Settee

Betty Sette of Churchill passed away October 27, 2010. I wanted to write a bit about Betty and her impact on my life. I met Betty when I was in Churchill, Manitoba, Canada with Polar Bears International Leadership Camp in 2008. She shared her memories of her life as a trapper with us. I used to think that fur trapping was a horrible thing, but talking to her I realized it was not true. Betty was never cruel to animals, she used every bit of them after they were trapped. Betty once said, "Fur is for warmth, not fashion." Betty also spoke a lot about mother nature. Betty was so wise, she talked to my great friend and fellow ambassador Erica Wills and said, "When you walk through the forests back home, think of me. I am old now, and have only the strength to give my knowledge and love of this land to the next generation. It is up to you to take care of the earth. It is up to you." Those words will remain forever in our hearts. I will never give up Betty, no matter what hardships come across the way I am going to do everything in my power to make a difference. Thank you so much for all your knowledge and your passion. We all love you and miss you very much. ~ Wildlife Katie
http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/news/memory-betty-settee

 You have taught us so much. Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment